Pages

Saturday 15 October 2011

Giving Thanks for Turkey Leftovers



Turkey was the main ingredient for many of us last week.  I hope 
you had a happy holiday. We had a couple of lively and memorable Thanksgiving gatherings stuffing ourselves like a bunch of turkeys.  Our appetites for several rounds of nutrition and fine wine reminds me of that lively song La Societa dei Mangnaccioni, do you remember that one?  It's the story of a group of young people who call themselves The Society of Big Eaters. They live to eat, drink and enjoy life to the fullest not caring about much else. My sister and I used to sing it a lot many lunas ago when we were teens and too young to fully appreciate all the work that goes on before the food arrives at the dinner table! 




I don't know any songs about leftovers but I do remember a funny commercial on TV about a young boy who can't wait to eat dinner, then upon seeing it, he sighs heavily and groans:  "Leftovers again?"  As a kid, I used to laugh. As an adult I think: "Leftovers--alright! Now how can I rearrange them so I'm not on the receiving end of those heavy sighs?"  This year, I used my Thanksgiving kitchen harvest to make a couple of turkey pot pies. Number of groans: zero...so I thought I'd share my recipe with you. 




Here's how I layered them from the bottom up:  start with a generous layer of cooked turkey, cut into cubes and top with gravy.  
I added some peperoncino. Layer your stuffing next (if you're lucky enough to have any left) followed by whatever vegetable you've got. I used leftover garlic mashed cauliflower. Next I organized a layer of sliced sweet potatoes and topped it all off with traditional mashed potatoes.  Bake in the oven for 30 minutes at 375 degrees. Easy, delizioso, and works well for any society of big eaters. Try layering your leftover chicken, fish, beans or simply vegetables. I'm looking forward to exploring a few creative combinations over the winter months when warm pies are welcomed most.







1 comment:

  1. I love chicken and turkey pot pie. I've always used the traditional carrots, celery and peas, topped with puff pastry. I never thought to put the stuffing right into the pie!

    Thanks for sharing...I'm going to give this a try!

    ReplyDelete